Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Apple Pie Filling

Even though this is called apple pie filling, it is perfect for your fruit pastry like Danish or a braid. 
Equally as suited for an apple crisp.







 First prepare the apples.  About one quart of peeled and cutup apple chunks.  I have a hand crank peeler but this economical, hand press slicer is my favorite way of cutting them into wedges that are easy to peel and slice.  I add one oz lemon juice to the apples to help reduce browning.  Put them in a bowl large enough to mix in the apple stuff below or put the apple stuff below in a large enough pan to mix in the apples.



I weigh everything on my KD 8000 scale.  Really saves on clean up.  I just put the pan on scale and measure right into it with no mess and no bother.
To the pan I add:
6 oz of regular sugar or Raw sugar.
1 oz regular Clear Jel(I order mine from the internet)
1 teaspoon good cinamman
One twist on my nutmeg grinder 
4 0z water
6 oz bottled apple juice

Heat the mixture on medium-high heat stirring constantly.  After a while you will suddenly lumps of brown things.  This is the first of the thickening action.  With in just a minute or so, the whole thing starts to get thick.  Remove from the heat and pour over the apples or pour the apples in the pan and stir.  Your done.

I tried using all apple juice this time  instead of the listed apple juice water mixture but as you can see from the picture the filling is just a little darker than I would like.

If you like this then when apples are plentiful you can apple pie filling using the National canning center recipe.  Note follow their recipe.  My recipe is for immediate use only and not for canning.  My recipe is a simpler version of theirs but I follow their recipe when I can apple pie filling.  Note too they also have several other fruit pie fillings recipes.  I have tried the cherry and it is super.

National Center for Home Food Preservation at the University of Georgia


Here is where I get my Clear Jel from.  I buy a couple of pounds at the time.

Barry Farms.

No comments:

Post a Comment